Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wausau, Wisconsin

For my very first post on here I am going to take you to the midwest and my last weekend trip.  My husband, who is an avid skiier, myself and my brother Chad took a long weekend up to Wausau Wisconsin over the New Year holiday.  This will have been like my 3rd time skiing and my brothers first time snowboarding.  Needless to say I was not ready for Colorado yet.  I wanted to have some time to practice skiing and Wausau is a great place to do it if you are in the midwest.  It is consistently ranked as one of the top ski places in the midwest.  We went to Granite Peak to practice our "moves" so to speak.

Husband Jonny and I at the base
It was so great to be able to practice skiing without having to worry about my son, so I could actually learn how to carve and feel more in control of myself while skiing.  It was very foggy and icy the two days that we went skiing so this is how I spent most of my time.

No, I'm kidding I did not spend "most" of my time on my butt, just some of the time.  My husband said that I was starting to "get it" which I loved to hear.  I knew that I was too, because I felt more in control, instead of just careening down the hill full force.  In fact my husband said I was doing so well that he decided that I had to move from the green (easy) trails to some blue (intermediate) blue/black hills.  I was feeling pretty cocky so I said sure.

Up the ski lift we go to the very top of the hill and we got off and headed to where we were to ski down.  I took one look at that hill and started to freak out!!  And when I freak out I start to cuss like a sailor, really!  So with one breath I'm cussing out the hill, my husband, skiing in general and then with my next breath I'm apologizing to God for cussing.  Finally one of the ski guys, who work at the hill, had, had enough of my standing around and screaming so he came over.  This very nice man offered to take my skiis and send them down the hill so I could "walk" my crazy butt down the hill.  Well that was about all it took, because NO WAY was I going through the humiliation of walking down the hill.  With a quick prayer to God I headed down that black (read hard) hill.  My husband swears it was mis-labeled, I'm not so sure of that.  Needless to say I am here writing about it so I made it down the hill safely.  In fact, I made it all the way down the black hill only to loose focus and fall on my butt on the green hill.  Talk about embarrassment.  The cool thing is that I can say that I skiied down a black diamond, in Wisconsin, but still a black diamond.  I am pretty proud of that.
If you are ever in the midwest and jonesin' for a day of skiing check out Granite Peak.  It was fun!  It even had a cute ski lodge for you to put your feet up and rest in and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment